Legal Defence Cover
You can call our 24-hour legal helpline 365 days a year for advice on any motor related legal problem to do with your journey, arising under the law of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Within your home country: 020 8603 9804. Outside your home country: +44 (0) 208 603 9804.
|Levels of Cover
What is covered:
We will pay up to the amount shown in the benefits schedule for legal costs for legal action if an insured event occurs during your journey.
If it is necessary for you to attend a judicial hearing for an offence, or alleged offence, covered under this policy, we will pay for necessary travel costs (but not board and lodging) for you to attend such a hearing up to the amounts shown in the benefits schedule.
Special conditions to this section
- you must conduct your claim in the way requested by the appointed adviser.
- you must keep us and the appointed adviser fully aware of all facts and correspondence including any claim settlement offers made to you.
- we will not be bound by any promises or undertakings which you give to the appointed adviser, or which you give to any person about payment of fees or expenses, without our consent.
- we can withdraw cover after we have agreed to the claim, if we think a suitable settlement is unlikely or that the cost of the legal action could be more than the settlement.
- you must make every effort to assist us and your appointed adviser in recovering our outlay.
Important - What is not covered:
- a. not reported to us within 90 days after the event giving rise to the claim.
- b. for uninsured loss recovery where we think a suitable settlement is unlikely or where the cost of the legal action could be more than the settlement.
- c. where another insurer or service provider has refused your claim or where there is a shortfall in the cover they provide.
- d. where you have been charged with solvent abuse, alcohol or drugs related offences or dangerous driving.
- e. arising from parking or fixed penalty offences committed, or alleged to have been committed, by you.
- f. for an insured event occurring while the insured vehicle is being;
- i. used for any purpose not permitted by the effective certificate of motor insurance.
- ii. driven by any person not described in the effective certificate of motor insurance as a person entitled to drive or any person not insured by this policy.
- iii. driven by a person insured who does not have a valid driving licence to drive the insured vehicle or who has been disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence.
- g. against us, the insurer, another person insured or our agent.
- h. for an application by you;
- i. to the European Court of Justice, European Court of Human Rights or similar international body, or
- ii. to enforce a judgment or legally binding decision.
Please also refer to the general conditions and general exclusions applying to all sections.